Monday 8 February 2010

Shine as Messengers


In an intolerant society where open discussion on religion is deemed insensitive to the belief or unbelief of others, a Christian is confronted with the challenge of being an effective messenger of the Lord.

In the institution I am currently working where there is a healthy mixture of peoples of different cultures, ethnicities and beliefs; discussion about one’s faith is uncommon. Talk about rugby, about how the weekend was spent or about the latest overseas trip – and you’re okay. But never attempt to discuss the beautiful homily you heard in the mass, for without doubt you’d end up with sharp stares or a heated argument.

How does a faith believer therefore share the Word of God without alienating one’s self from peers? I offer two suggestions: be creative and be a practicing Christian.

More than three years ago, I identified four strategic places in the government office where I work. I placed a uniform label, “Quotes”, on each and consistently placed every working day, a new quotation consistent with the teachings of Jesus Christ.  I try as much as possible to have a theme each week that is relevant to the lives of my colleagues.

The other week, moved by the devastation in Haiti, I choose as theme “Calamity” and one quote penetrated the heart of a co-worker. It said: “I had the blues because I had no shoes until upon the street I met a man who had no feet” (Ancient Persian Saying). Luisa, a Samoan, said that she liked the quotation I put up and told me to continue doing the good job.  But it is not smooth sailing all the time though. There have been instances that the quotes are taken out surreptitiously. I do not complain; and simply go about putting up another one.

The more effective way of evangelising others to the faith is through personal example: living a life in accordance with the teachings of Christ. This is easier said than done. For temptations to sin and our human frailty can bring us to shame in the eyes of God and ridicule before fellow human beings. We must try always to relate to others as Jesus did to all those who encountered him during His ministry, including the prostitutes, the sinners, the helpless and the sick. It is indeed a tall order for each one of us, but if we are able to be Christ-like, we can convince those who have yet to experience Jesus to see the Light.

We are obliged to tell the world of His love. “Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone.” (Mark 16:13) If we do as God molds us to be as messengers, then, “(t)hose who are wise will shine as bright as the sky, and those who lead many to righteousness will shine like the stars forever.” (Daniel 12:3)

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment