Monday 15 February 2010

Elixir of Life


The young couple with their one-year old child came to office to bid goodbye. Ivy, a co-worker who hails from China, tendered her resignation as Finance Advisor of the government office where I work. Late last year, she was diagnosed of skin cancer; and was told by the doctors that it was in an advanced stage. She did not report for work after the Christmas break; and we were later informed of her decision to stop working, to seek healing and find time for her small family.

She hopped from one work station to the other, answering queries about her condition, her plans, etc. When she came near me, I noticed sorrow in her eyes, though she still carried a smile on her lips. We hugged each other, as she did with the others, and said that she was leaving. I asked her what medication she was taking and she responded, “Alternative Medicine.” After a few seconds of silence, I said, “I’ll pray always for you.” She then joined her husband who was carrying the baby, and bid everyone farewell.

“Isn’t life unfair?”, asked a colleague, and it made me reflect deeply. God knows what is best for us. If we suffer, it makes us more sensitive to God’s presence in our lives as well as that of others. “God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are in trouble, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ.” (2 Corinthians 1:3-5)

There is always a positive outcome in suffering as God promised, “Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.” (Isaiah 43:1-2) Most importantly we should be reminded that suffering cannot last forever. “He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.” (Revelation 21:4)

When I said to Ivy that I’d pray for her; I was depending on the Elixir of life: Our Lord, Our God.

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment