Monday 1 February 2010

Death of a Friend


As I was about to curl on my bed, a brown moth sprung out of the blanket and settled in the study table. I was surprised, but did not mind about it. The next morning, the same moth was prominently resting on the white wall of the bathroom. My wife, Debbie, told me if the presence of the insect meant anything. I responded that “there could be someone close who is dying. Let us pray that nothing untoward will happen.”

The following day, I opened my email and checked on incoming messages. One came from Benjie Hortelano, a colleague in the Philippines, who sends occasional messages. He wrote that a mutual friend, Lamberto ‘Bert’ Migrino, died of cancer the previous day (January 28, 2010).  I told my wife about it, and she was bewildered as she remembered the moth that eventually died,, though she tried to free it out in the open.

A Certified Public Accountant, Bert was a likeable person whose humility and commitment to service were exemplary. I first met him when he was president of the Federation of PTCAs of Catholic Schools in Cebu. He was such an accommodating individual who listened to newcomers like me and made each one important.

I was so smitten by his style of leadership that I asked if he wanted to lead the accountants’ organisation, but he said that there were others more capable than him; but the Board of Trustees of the Red Cross in Cebu wouldn’t let him get away from leading the humanitarian group. He attained the organisation’s goals by leading by example, by delegating tasks and by acknowledging good work. Always, he had a ready smile.

I often wondered where Bert got that warm aura in his person; and I learned much later that he lived across a chapel and often prayed there. For a long time, he served as lay minister.

The friendship of Bert is one that I will always cherish, for he was steadfast and never hesitated to help. “A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.” (Proverbs 17:17) It feels like a part of me has been taken away; it hurts. But then the pain is relieved by the thought that he now rests in the arms of God, the One True Friend. “Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.” (John 15:14)

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment