Monday 26 May 2008

Lost and Blessed


My elder brother, Eric Santiago, was taken from our family by a childless aunt. It must have been difficult for my parents who eventually acceded to the arrangement in obedience to my grandparents’ request. Noy Eric grew up in far-flung Mindanao as the rest of his siblings were raised in urban Cebu. Knowing he was our lost brother, when he visited us during school breaks, we showered him with love and affection. He in turn became an inspiration as he excelled in his studies and became a state scholar. He eventually reunited with us when he enrolled in the University of San Carlos, but only briefly as he decided to fight against the dictatorial Marcos regime. In a way, we lost him again; yet we looked up to him for his courage and idealism.

In a troubled world, each one of us searches for a role model that gives us the drive to excel, to make a difference. Noy Eric, for me, was (and remains to be) a living legend. He lived dangerously in pursuit of a better future for his countrymen. I have become a writer, an artist and a servant – sharing what gifts I have –inspired partly by the lifework of my brother.

Our best model is Jesus Christ who lived a life of selflessness, sacrifice and love. We may have lost Him when He died on the cross; but in truth, we gained a Saviour who conquered death and showed us the Way to Eternal Life. "You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I." (John 14:28) As we worship Him, we must emulate Him in our lives; make Him present in all that we do. "Then Jesus said to his disciples, ‘If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me’." (Matthew 16:24)

Today, Noy Eric works as a consultant to organisations that help alleviate the suffering of the masses. His youngest child, Pipoy, recently graduated cum laude in economics at the University of the Philippines, Diliman, following the footsteps of two elder sisters who likewise obtained honours in the prestigious university. What wonderful blessings! "If you fully obey the Lord your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the Lord your God will set you high above all the nations on earth." (Deuteronomy 28:1)

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment