Monday 12 May 2008

Let Go, Let God


One of the finest stories I have read is Og Magdino’s "The Greatest Salesman in the World". So strong is its impact in my life that not only did I observe the 30 days ritual of reading each scroll contained within the tale, but I often ponder upon the rich lessons in the life of Hafid, the poor boy who eventually became a truly wealthy merchant.

In the final chapters of the novella, as Hafid waits for his time to make his final rest, he divides his treasures and possessions to those that were loyal to him and were most deserving. He left just enough for himself and promised his servant that when he died the rest would be bequeathed to the latter.

The nature of man is to hold on to material possessions until the very last breath. Oftentimes we become too attached to the world that we find it difficult to let go. Jesus Christ preached: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." (Matthew 6:19-20)

Christ, in His lifetime on earth, was not known to have treasures of this world though He owned the world. When his time came for suffering and crucifixion, He easily let go of the world to save humankind from sin and to fulfil the promise of the Eternal Kingdom of God.

If we let go, we let God. "But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ." (Philippians 3:7-8)

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment