Tuesday 4 June 2013

Playful Child

It was supposed to be a quick stop, but a playful child stretched it for nearly an hour.

On Sunday (2 June 2013), my wife, Debbie and I brought two visitors to the home of Shirley where they’d stay for the next six weeks. They were simply going to put their luggage in their rooms, then leave for another urgent appointment. As we were about to depart, Debbie couldn’t find the key of the car.  We traced and re-traced our steps and even checked the luggage just to make certain it hadn’t fallen inside - nothing.

The image of the Sto Nino (the Holy Child Jesus) was on its last Novena day in Shirley’s house, and though I noticed it, I didn’t really bother to say hello. (The image had stayed in our house for 10 days about a month ago). We got another key from our son, who had to drive from 45 minutes away.

As we left, Shirley told us, “Maybe, the Sto Nino was playing hide-and-seek with us?” As we were on our way, the phone rang. It was Shirley telling us that we left a bag in her living room. As we arrived, the image of the Sto Nino was about to board the vehicle of Fiel who was assigned to host the image. I thought, “I should kiss the holy image, and maybe, he’d let us find the key.”

Later in the evening, Shirley called and notified me that they’ve found the key. She narrated, “When I arrived this evening, I told my daughter to move my husband’s car in front of the garage as it had been parked for sometime in the grassy lawn. After moving the car, my daughter noticed the lost key in the place where my husband’s car was previously parked.” She asked, “How could it have gotten under that car?” I couldn’t answer her immediately, for not anyone among us had come near the car at any point in time. Then I said, “Hmm, the playful child in the Sto Nino could have been responsible,” We both had a laugh.

The original icon of the Sto Nino in Cebu that was gifted in 1521 by Ferdinand Magellan to Queen Juana has been known for its playfulness. Priests, sacristans and churchgoers have through the centuries shared stories of seeing dirt or grass in the image’s well-adorned clothes when the icon is, in fact, placed inside a glass case.

That reminds me of one particular dialogue in the film, “Life of Pi”:

Adult Pi Patel: So which story do you prefer?
Writer: The one with the tiger. That's the better story.
Adult Pi Patel: Thank you. And so it goes with God.
Writer: [smiles] It's an amazing story.

I had told you an amazing story about the Sto Nino. It’s up to you to believe or not.

1 comment:

  1. Nice experienced with the playful child. Atty. Mel. We had a few good experiences as well with holy child in our ancestral home (1812) in Balamban.

    If we loss something we normally kidding him "Migo (for Amigo) NiƱo" where is it ? few days after we found the thing either in the old house or in the annex main house ...

    ReplyDelete