Monday 8 April 2013

The Lady

Over the weekend, I saw “The Lady”, the moving bio-pic on the life and struggles of Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi and the impact on her family, on her nation, Burma and of her people. For people living in democratic countries, yet have forgotten of the lives lost and sacrifices made to attain freedom, this film should serve as a reminder.

There is a scene in the opus where husband Michael Aris, who has been left behind in London to care for their two growing children, attempts to cook and fails miserably. It is somewhat laughable, but not for me.

For the first time, I have been left to tend for myself as my wife, Debbie, has gone on a month-long vacation to the Philippines. So dependent on my wife for the meals, I am continuously attempting to cook a decent meal these past few weeks. Last week, I nearly had food poisoning when I ate fried rice that I had mixed with leftover viands of chicken and tuna. For an entire afternoon, I had to run to the toilet back and forth to rid my stomach of the deadly recipe.

Aris died without seeing his wife. He accepted the importance of the cause that she was fighting for; and didn’t hinder her in any manner. Though distant, he fought her fight in diplomatic avenues, while at the same time took care of the family. It reminds us of the teaching, “Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” (Ephesians 5:25)

On my part, I am proud of my wife on her ability to balance her vocation as a financial adviser and her obligation as a homemaker. It is therefore just fair that she takes a break from the demanding routine. I understand. I told her to enjoy her vacation, and not worry about me.  “Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.” (1 Peter 3:7)

Couples live in different situations, encounter diverse challenges, yet what is most basic for the husband and wife is to honour the covenant they entered into in marriage to give themselves to each other and accept the gift of the other. The love of Suu Kyi and Michael Aris is admirable; but so are those of simple couples like you and me, who live ordinary lives, yet cherish the love for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment