Monday 4 March 2013

Missing Out the Peace

The team-building fun day turned horrific. One of the participants, a 57-year old man, fell to his death as he stepped from the platform in a high-ropes adventure course in Auckland on March 3, 2013. His daughter screamed, “Dad” while the wife couldn’t do anything as she watched from the ground. Surely, it never occurred to the man, to his family or to the rest of the participants that March 3 was his appointed time.

On the same day, I attended a mass at Holy Cross Church in Henderson, and the priest in his homily talked about “procrastination”. He admitted he was himself a procrastinator, doing things at the last minute.  He told about St Augustine who procrastinated in serving the faith. The saint wrote, “Too late have I loved Thee, O Beauty so old and so new! Too late have I loved Thee.”

St Augustine confessed on how he attached himself to temporal desires that kept him away from the spiritual joy that filled him in the later part of his life.

He wrote, “And lo, Thou wert inside me and I outside, and I sought for Thee there, and in all my unsightliness I flung myself on those beautiful things which Thou hast made. Thou wert with me and I was not with Thee. Those beauties kept me away from Thee, though if they had not been in Thee, they would not have been at all. Thou didst call and cry to me and break down my deafness. Thou didst flash and shine on me and put my blindness to flight. Thou didst blow fragrance upon me and I drew breath, and now I pant after Thee. I tasted of Thee and now I hunger and thirst for Thee. Thou didst touch me and I am aflame for Thy peace.”

Many among us have the tendency of delaying service to our fellowmen and to God for the future.  We are just too busy with work, with socials, with hobbies, etc. Service to others, service to God can wait when I will be older, when I will have retired.

But what if your appointed time comes sooner than later?

 “My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments, for length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you. Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.” Proverbs 3:1-35

Let’s not miss out the joy that service gives to others. Let’s not miss out the peace that service gives to our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment