Monday 8 March 2010

Daily Journeys Part 1 of 2


We take journeys daily. As time moves forward, so must we.

Most of us literally make trips outside of our homes to pursue vocations and avocations. During weekdays, I go to work in the Auckland High Court, taking the bus from Glen Eden in West Auckland where I live to the Central Business District where the court is located. It usually takes me 45 minutes to an hour to reach the bus stop. From there I stroll for another 20 minutes to be in the office between 8:00am to 8:15am.

For the past three years, I have found these bus rides to be most inspiring, You see, in 2008 I brought with me a copy of Living Water, a booklet that contains the gospel reading for each day and a reflection. Most often, I ended up composing a song for most of the trips, some of which we sung in masses. In 2009 I was led to doing the Holy Rosary; and the experience of reciting and reflecting on the mysteries made me better understand the life, sacrifices and love of our Lord.

As 2010 began, I prepared myself to continue with reciting the Rosary each time I took the bus. But something happened. I misplaced my rosary and for two days, I searched for it without success. As I tried to locate the precious beads, my attention was caught by a orange booklet placed on top of the table in our bedroom. I took the pamphlet titled, “Miracle Hour” written by Linda Schubert and went through it as I went on my usual bus ride.

The book provides “a method of prayer that will change your life”. Schubert explained: “the booklet emerged at the end of a long dry time, when I was so ashamed of my prayerlessness that I cried out to the Lord for help.”  She continued: “He (God) not only gave a rich, grace-filled hour, but also showed me a simple format for a daily hour that would draw me into deeper intimacy with Him and empower me in my Christian walk.”

Schubert divided the hour into 12 five-minute segments with scriptural support for each as follows:

1 Praise.
We acknowledge the Almighty God who is worthy of all praise. “Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise His holy name.” (Psalm 103:1)

2 Sing to the Lord.
Music is the language of heaven as it opens our spirits to the great power of God. “Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before Him with thanksgiving and extol Him with music and song.” (Psalm 95:102)

3 Spiritual Warfare.
The devil attacks us at all times, but be not afraid: we have authority to come against the dark spirits. We must call on the Holy Spirit who will shield us and make certain that Satan fails. “Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s scheme...” (Ephesians 6:12)

4 Surrender.
When we accept our weaknesses and humble ourselves before God, we allow Him to enter our lives and He fills us with His love and grace, putting His will above ours, thereby fulfilling our reason for being. “May Your will be done” (Matthew 26:42)

(To be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment