Monday 7 September 2009

Come Holy Spirit, Heal Me


It was in the middle of the night when I suddenly woke up and felt the pain in my throat. I have had several far worse attacks of laryngitis or tonsillitis in the past that at times lasted months to heal. But this time around, I had a task ahead the next morning in a forum among migrants and next week an engagement to sing in two events.  Can there be instant healing? I raised myself up, gargled warm water with salt, and pressed acupuncture points in my body so I could be relieved of pain.  But the pain persisted into the morning; that I had to tell my wife to send my apologies to the forum organisers.

The entire Saturday I rested, popped a few vitamin pills, and I prayed.  Repeatedly I prayed, “Come Holy Spirit, heal me” until I fell asleep.  As the day continued, I did light household chores and kept on praying not just for myself, but also for the success of the forum; for my family, for the TawagAwit ministry and for many others.  By afternoon, my wife came back from the forum which she said was well-attended. The pain had reduced and by evening, I was healed.  Praise God!

How often to do we say thank you to the Lord for the miracles, monumental or little, in our lives? How often do we acknowledge God’s healing hands in our lives? How often do we testify of the Almighty’s work in our lives? In times of suffering, we seek refuge in the Lord. He takes care of us in His time. But some who are healed or are freed from burden take God’s intercession lightly by giving in to reason (“it was the medicine”, “it was the advice of the expert”, etc) or simply ignoring God for the positive outcome.

Pope Benedict XVI said: "Even today, not a few people remain scandalized by the paradox of the Christian faith. The teaching of Jesus seems hard, too difficult to welcome and put into practice, as a result, some refuse this teaching and abandon Christ. Some try to 'adapt' his words to the fashions of the time, distorting their meaning and value." Our task as Christians is to spread God’s Word so many can be saved. We can do so by being thankful to Him, by acknowledging Him in our lives and by testifying of His works. Let us be reminded by Christ’s powerful message: “Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man beashamed, when He cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.” (Mark 8:38)

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment