Monday 24 August 2009

God Sows


It is amazing how God leads us to fulfilling our dreams and aspirations. When I was a child, I simply loved to plant. Gardening was part of our activities in Cebu Normal Laboratory School and one of the vocational subjects in Abellana National School – and I cherished those moments in creating plots, sowing seeds, caring for plants and harvesting crops.

During my college years, I continued my passion by turning the lot at the side of our house into a vegetable garden. I told my parents that I’d pursue a degree in agriculture, but I took a different route instead to finish the unfulfilled dreams of my mother (to be a CPA) and my father (to be a lawyer). But I still continued to maintain vegetable and ornamental gardens even as a family man.

I thought I had thoroughly written-off my ambition to obtain formal training in horticulture. But I was led to meet Professor Misael ‘Jun’ Diputado, Jr of the Taratahi Agricultural Training Centre (http://horticulture-programme.co.nz) who was recruiting students for a horticulture course funded by the New Zealand government. I enrolled and learned about tools and records, soils, agrichemical use and plant structures from our caring and diligent teacher who flew in from Wellington to meet us in Auckland once a month.

One year later on August 19, 2009, Prof. Jun, who taught for years in the Visayas State University in Baybay, Leyte, Philippines, sent me an email message congratulating me for completing all 30 assessments of the National Certificate in Horticulture - Level 2. With the training, I feel more confident in pursuing TawagAwit’s Sow&Harvest Year 2 programme.

Sow&Harvest was conceived last year with the intention of encouraging TawagAwit members to cultivate vegetables in their backyard and share the harvest among co-members. It is a practical activity grounded on Christian love and sharing. A few weeks after launching the programme, I met Prof. Jun. "Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass." (Psalm 37:5) In His time, the Lord leads us to fulfilling our dreams and aspirations. All that is required is to follow His commands. "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples." (John 15:7-8)

For in truth, God sows in each of us gifts that are meant to benefit all; meant to glory Him. Keep those dreams and aspirations burning in your heart, "for nothing is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37)

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment