Monday 1 June 2009

Songbird For God


From being a simple church volunteer, Susan Boyle was catapulted to sudden fame via a fascinating performance in the 2009 Britains’s Got Talent show. It was reported that her rendition of “I Dreamed a Dream” was viewed 220 million times in You Tube. She eventually took the second place in the finals of the reality show. The meteoric rise though took a toll on her health that she was treated in a mental health clinic on the days that followed.

Single and living alone with her cat, Boyle must have lived a quiet life. The surge of attention she has gotten must have been overwhelming. Not only are media people camping out in her home to take photos; but she’s appeared in the top rated shows of Ophra Winfrey and Larry King.  The singer said she was “loving every second” of her unexpected rise from obscurity. But the days leading to the finals turned her into a confused woman easily agitated and foul-mouthed.

To be overwhelmed is to be out of control and to feel powerless. An individual is placed in a situation far beyond one’s imagination: like a pauper being crowned king; like a servant girl marrying Prince Charming; like living a fairy tale. The anxiety grows when people expect too much and the individual becomes burdened by the expectations.

When one is overwhelmed, God is sure to help. “God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear when earthquakes come and mountains crumble into the sea.” (Psalm 46:1-2)  Seeking God’s Word will allow us to overcome that what overwhelms us.  “If your instructions hadn’t sustained me with joy, I would have died in my misery. I will never forget your commandments, for by them you give me life.” (Psalm 119:92-93)  Prayer – conversing with God – will allow us to hear the gentle voice of the One who truly loves us. “I cry out to the Lord; I plead for the Lord’s mercy. I pour out my complaints before him and tell him all my troubles. When I am overwhelmed, you alone know the way I should turn.” (Psalm 142:1-3)

Susan Boyle seemed to have forgotten the church where she volunteered. All she needs to do is walk right back; fall on her knees; and seek God’s help. Without doubt, God will fill her soul and lead her to use the gift of song for His greater glory. She can be a songbird for God.

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment