Sunday 10 May 2009

God's Special Handmaids


When I was a young single professional, I would hang out with friends, way into the wee hours of night. As far as I can recall, each time I arrived home late, my mother Milagros waited for me in the living room. She would ask how I was and if I did not feel well, would attend to me.  When any of our children would go home late, my wife, Debbie, would always do her best to fetch them at the bus stop about 200 meters from the house.

Mothers are God’s special handmaids on earth. Actress Sophia Loren once said: “When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts.  A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” This is so, for the fact remains that the miracle of life of every child begins in the womb of a mother.  And even if the umbilical cord that binds the two is cut at the moment of birth, the spiritual bond remains unbroken throughout the lifetime of both mother and child.

Mother Mary was present in Cana when Jesus performed his first miracle and she stood near the cross as Christ suffered and died. As the Messiah concerned Himself of the salvation of the world, He specifically thought of the welfare of His mother. “And he said to this disciple, ‘Here is your mother.’ And from then on this disciple took her into his home.” (John 19:27)

Mary knew her role “And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.” (Luke 1:38)  Our Lord placed His mother in a pedestal for He knew how important her role was; how obedient she was to the Lord’s command; how genuine her concern and complete her loving for Him, her Son.

The Old Testament tells: “Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.” (Exodus 20:12) Let us remember always: “The eye that mocks a father and scorns to obey a mother will be picked out by the ravens of the valley and eaten by the vultures.” (Proverbs 30:17)

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment