Friday 13 March 2009

You Complete Me

My wife, Debbie, celebrates her birthday on March 16. We’ve been married for 29 years, have three children, one grandson and a durable relationship. I do believe in love at first sight, because even until today, I can vividly recall the time that she was introduced as a new employee in the company where I worked as an auditor: never had I seen a smile so sweet and woman so pretty and so charming.

We’ve had our ups and downs in marriage: the initial struggles as a young couple of standing on our own; the birth of, raising and educating beautiful children; the demands of work and home, etc. We’ve made it through. As I let Debbie, whose a Certified Public Accountant, pursue the vocation she’s most happy – insurance and real estate selling – she has in all instances stood behind me in the many endeavours I’ve ventured into. When she went to visit a sister in McAllen, Texas, United States for two months, I came to realise of the vacuum in my life without her. It was during those moments that I wrote the song, "You Complete Me".

The lyrics follow: Without the sea what is a ship/ Without the wind what is a kite/ Without the tune what is a song/ Without the beat what is a dance/ Without the paper what is a pen/ Without the words what is a book/ Without the woman what is a man/ Without your love don’t know what I am// Ref: In this world of loneliness/ There is someone I do miss/ I long for your caress/ Your warm embrace/ Your tender kiss/ Woman you fill me/ You complete me// A ship can sail only on sea/ A kite can fly because of wind/ There is a song when there’s a tune/ There is a dance when there’s a beat/ The pen was made to write on paper/ The book is read because of words/ A man exists because of woman/ I am of you and you of me."

Truly the marriage bond become stronger through the years, for it is written: "Since they are no longer two but one, let no one split apart what God has joined together." (Matthew 19:6) Early on our marriage, Debbie and I agreed with our children to adopt a family vision: "Living and loving under God’s Grace." This has kept us going through thick and thin, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer. We made our choice. "Choose today whom you will serve…But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord." (Joshua 24:15)
To Debbie, thank you for making me part of your life, as you are part of mine. Let us continue in our life journey together for our family, for our community, for our Lord. Happy Birthday; I love you.

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment