Wednesday 28 January 2009

Stamped Envelope


Stamp collecting is a worthwhile hobby that broadens one’s perspective of the world, fires up one’s enthusiasm for discovery and develops one to be precise and orderly. It’s been a long time since I’ve viewed my collection of my elementary days (until 1969); yet two experiences stick in my mind to this day.

The first one: I often used part of my daily allowance of 50 centavos to buy stamps at the Catholic Trade School just a few blocks away from Cebu Normal Laboratory School. One night I discovered that I had lost the entire set of stamps I had just bought. That night I prayed hard to God that I would be able to locate the used stamps. Early the next day (a Saturday), I retraced my steps and there in the middle of the grassy playground laid the envelope with its contents! I found my stamps – and
most importantly a stronger faith in God.

The second one: During summer vacations, I would climb up the ceiling (where electric wires were all over) in my grandparents’ house in Toledo City. Old correspondences were stored there and stamps from the 30s –50s were a-plenty. It was a gold mine and I would spend hours removing the delicate stamps from the envelopes. I got into trouble, though, when I climbed one time and broke the glass of the book cabinet that I used as stairs. I was severely punished, not for getting the stamps, but for the shattered glass. With joy comes pain.

When we are thoroughly engaged in an avocation or vocation, we find happiness in what we do because it gives meaning to our lives. We do everything possible to attain perfection in the task even if it involves danger. There are times too that we fail and stumble along the way – yet struggle hard we do to get back on track. Our greatest cheerleader – God – always carries us through. "You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me, and your gentleness made me great" (Psalm 18:35) Life should be lived passionately; joyfully; fully; boldly – in faith, in love, in Christ. "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (Galatians 2:20)

Life in faith, in love, in Christ assures us of receiving a priceless stamped envelope dated on the Lord’s time containing that all important letter invitation: a heavenly experience of eternal joy. "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." (Psalm 16:11)

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment