Monday 10 November 2008

Shut Window, Door Opened


I once joined a singing competition in Toastmasters International in our area. With a wonderfully arranged original composition and instructing a colleague to turn-off the lights to give impact on the commencement of my performance, I confidently sang “Light a Candle”, which was inspired by a spiritually enriching experience. When all the other contestants had rendered their numbers, I was shocked to learn that I did not even figure in the top three.

However we look at it – losing sucks. More so if you had high expectations of yourself, and you performed at your level best.  But in a contest like in an election, there can only be one winner and losers a-many.

The best approach to losing is not to react instantaneously upon learning of the result. One must remain calm, letting the reality of defeat sink into the mind. Cry a little then allow a joyful thought to spark warmth in the heart – you did your utmost best, the better competitor won in this particular contest and the judges came up with a fair decision. Congratulate the victor.

Defeat is not the end of the world. Believe that a window of opportunity may have been shut, but a door has been opened for a more meaningful journey. “[The Lord said], “I will take back the ripened grain and new wine I generously provided each harvest season. I will take away the wool and linen clothing I gave her to cover her nakedness...But then I will win her back once again. I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her there.” (Hosea 2:9, 14)

I am thankful for the loss in that singing competition 15 years ago. It actually challenged me to write better songs and record professionally. Since then, I had written numerous anthems for major events and good causes; released three albums; and was led by the Spirit to my present pursuit of “sharing God’s Word through music and other acts of love.” (TawagAwit mission)

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment