Monday 18 August 2008

White Day


Melody Lady Garcia, a youthful co-worker in Red Cross, Cebu who now works in Japan as an English instructor, corresponded to me recently. She shared an essay she wrote about the differences between the cultures of Japan and the Philippines.

One interesting item she mentioned was on the practice of gift giving on Valentine’s Day. She wrote: "When I came to Japan, I was dumbstruck. Here, the style is the opposite. Ladies give chocolates to guys. When someone told me that it is the way things are done, I shyly gave a small box of chocolates to an interesting Japanese man. One month later, on White Day, the Japanese man gave me a big box of chocolates and Dior earrings. Wow! When you plant, you can reap. That was one of the most beautiful experiences I have had in life. After that experience, I made it my personal motto to give chocolates to all my students, male and female alike, and also to my friends and bosses. They always gave me something in return. Not that I expected it. When I received so many gifts, I sent some back home to my loved ones."

She further narrated: "Here’s one story I love to tell. One Valentine’s Day, I passed by a tea shop without any customer. The owner, an old man, was alone by himself. I pitied him so much that I instinctively entered his shop and ordered a cup of coffee and a piece of cake. After paying my bill, I handed him two bars of Kitkats and greeted him "Happy Valentine’s!" He smiled at me appreciatively. A year later, I passed by that shop again. At that time, it was empty and there was a big sign outside that said it was closing at the end of that month. I saw the old man sitting with his eyes closed. When I entered the shop, he suddenly woke up. He looked at me and said, "You're the girl who gave me chocolate last year!" I simply smiled and ordered coffee and cake. After paying my bill, the old man handed me a big box of Winnie the Pooh candies. No one forgets a kind deed, even how small."

Giving is one of the values that Jesus Christ taught us. "Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me." (Matthew 19:21) The kind of giving that Jesus expects of us is one of genuine concern and humility like the woman in the parable who offered her last money as offering in the temple. The ultimate giving was, of course, Jesus’ sacrificing His earthly life to bring salvation to humankind.

Martyrdom is meant only for a few called upon to sacrifice their lives for the Faith; thus majority of us are expected to declare each and everyday one like a White Day, that is, one of giving in gratitude to God’s inexhaustible love for us. "And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." (Colossians 3:17)

The wonder of it all – is that if one just gives and gives, no one actually loses anything. The recipient is filled with joy and gratitude. The giver finds a true sense of meaning and purpose. The Lord and Creator will not forget the kind deed, even how small. In His chosen time, He will reward the giver with an eternal experience far more sweet than a box of the world’s finest chocolates.

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment