Friday 7 March 2008

Walk in Faith


I thought it was not possible. You see upon disembarking the bus each morning and after walking for 20 minutes from the bus stop, I notice this stranger, whom I thought disembarked from the same bus, walk opposite my direction as I huffed a few meters from my workplace. Curious, I took an opposite route walking to my office, to trace the possible alternative way used by the mystery man. That route took me nearly 30 minutes to get to my workplace. I, thus, concluded that the individual who walked opposite my direction just resembled the person who got down in the bus stop.

To put a closure to the matter, I spied on this balding co-passenger one day focusing on the colour of his shoes and his bag just in case I met the similar-looking gentleman. I was dumbfounded when I encountered the very same person (wearing brown shoes and carrying a black bag) walking towards my direction, as I was about to arrive at my destination. Days later, I successfully solved the puzzle. The man disembarked from the bus we both took, then crossed the street while I continued walking on the other side. He then rode on another bus that brought him to a bus stop a few meters from my workplace. He then walked opposite my direction where his office is located.

It is a tendency for human beings to be sceptical on things or events that go against the usual. Civilisation has advanced through centuries because of Man’s curiosity and desire to understand himself and everything around him by using the senses. Scientists, philosophers and educators have developed techniques and in recent times used sophisticated equipment to break into new grounds to answer questions in areas that seemed mysterious. The free flow of information through technology has contributed further to breaking into new frontiers that allow Man to tinker even with what is God’s exclusive realm.

There is no doubt that Man’s ingenuity has brought considerable improvement on humanity. It was and has always been God’s intention to allow Man to use his full faculties and gifts. "Having gifts that differ according to the grace given us, let us use them" (Romans 12:6) God finds immense joy in Man’s achievements. "Let each one give as he has made up his own mind and purpose in his heart, not reluctantly or sorrowfully or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." (2 Corinthians 9:7) As God tempers Man when the latter abuses the gift, He punishes those who questions not only His power and might, but also of His existence. "The Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgement, while continuing their punishment." (2 Peter 2:9)

God the Father sent His only Son, Jesus Christ to tell humankind of His greatness and love; to strengthen the cord that establishes our being of Him and in Him; and to provide for us a model of a true servant. It is therefore for Man, like Christ, to illuminate God’s greatness and love through good work and inventions. It is for Man, like Christ, to acknowledge the hand and will of God in the fruit of one’s labour, discovery or creation. It is for Man, like Christ, to use one’s talent, gifts and resources in humility and selflessness.

Life is a puzzle. God meant it that way. There are times that by ourselves we can put the missing parts by simple logic or close observation. There are instances when the puzzle becomes complicated and the more committed, the more talented, the more gifted get to resolve the situation. Finally, there are instances that the puzzle is beyond rhyme and reason, beyond mediocrity and genius. Faith in the Supreme Being will fill the gap. For if we have faith, we walk in confidence in the path of life. Whatever seems impossible to hurdle and impossible to comprehend are surmountable, knowing well that He guides and leads us. "For nothing will be impossible with God." (Luke 1:37)

by Mel Libre

No comments:

Post a Comment